Active DC Collaborative Members and Partners may apply for the Arts and Humanities for Every Student (AHFES) program and Professional Development initaitves.
Arts and Humanities for Every Student (AHFES) provides increased access for all DC public and charter school students to attend high-quality arts and humanities events as an integral part of their education. Whether at cultural institutions or through an in-school placement, these age-appropriate arts and humanities programs engage and educate students. Through this program, DCPS and public charter schools are eligible for tickets and transportation to local cultural events and in-school performances and workshops. More info.
Professional Development Workshops (PD) The DC Collaborative, in partnership with its members, offers workshops open to all DC public and public charter school teachers, which focus on dance, visual arts, humanities, theater, and music and how to effectively integrate these disciplines into their teaching practices. These workshops take place throughout the year at the hosting cultural organization and through the DC Collaborative Professional Development Institute series. More info.
AHFES and PD Application Checklist
AHFES and PD Application
- Program Application (Manual Application or Online)
- Pre-trip Materials
- Post-trip Materials
- Organization’s Logo
- Program Evaluation/Assessment (Please send any relevant research or evidence of effectiveness that your organization has generated (with or without a third party) regarding these workshops or programs)
- Pay the one-time AHFES application fee (pay here)
- Pay the Annual Membership Dues by July 31 (pay here)
- Reference the AHFES Application Rubric and PD Application Rubric
Additional PD Application Supplementary Materials
- Facilitator’s resume and/or short bio
- Sample Syllabus/Agenda including a time-line of activities
- Brief description of how teachers or program will be assessed (if any)
- Brief description of any homework the teachers will be assigned (if any)
- Post-trip materials/sample lesson plans that teachers can integrate into their teaching
Program Criteria and Instructions
- Organizations applying to the AHFES and PD programs must be an active member of the DC Arts and Humanities Education Collaborative in good standing. Meaning, Annual Membership Dues and the one time AHFES Application Fee must be paid by July 31, for program inclusion in the catalog and online feature. Membership is not a guarantee of participation in the AHFES program as an AHFES Provider. All applications are subject to review by the Programming Committee (see AHFES Rubric | PD Rubric).
- NEW this year! AHFES Application Fee: The one-time AHFES application fee (pay here) will cover costs associated with your organization's AHFES feature page (NEW! Sample AHFES feature page Here) and new online registration that integrates with the registration lottery. The one time-fee will be returned if your organization's program is not accepted and/or your organization donates tickets and provides transportation costs for at least one bus throughout the year. The one-time application fee is $50. Your organization may submit up to 5 programs per category.
- NEW this year! All applications will be reviewed by the Programming Committee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join a program evaluation task-force. The Programming Committee will evaluate applications based on the artistic and educational quality of the programs, quality of the pre and post trip materials, standards alignment, and ensure that the program is age appropriate and aligns to an arts or humanities discipline. Organizations must provide instructional materials (both pre and post trip) that accompany the programs to the DC Collaborative and participating schools. The AHFES Rubric and PD Rubric are available for review.
- At least one pre-trip and one post-trip sample, event related educational materials must be e-mailed to email@example.com at the time of application. Event-specific materials must be submitted 4 weeks prior to the AHFES experiences if your program is approved. These materials should extend the experience into the classroom and help the teacher connect to curriculum.
- Events/programs must take place within 30 miles of the District and should begin between 10:00 a.m. and end before 1:30 p.m. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis.
- Collaborative Effect! 77% of AHFES Providers are donating tickets and nearly half help with full or partial transportation reimbursement. To ensure that more students benefit with access to these programs we ask that you to donate tickets or keep costs as low as possible. If you still need us to reimburse tickets this year, the maximum reimbursed cost per ticket is $4.00, pending program approval and funding availability. We welcome the opportunity to work with you on joint grant requests so that you can offer more complimentary tickets and transportation reimbursement to the DC Collaborative. We can broker a lower rate with transportation vendors if you can commit earlier to reimbursements.
- Complete one application for each event being offered (Multiple dates may be listed per event).
- If submitting event dates at this time, please check dates against the DCPS 2017-2018 Calendar. Remember to consider holidays, teacher professional development days, and other days off. *** Due to an emphasis of testing in the end of March through the end of May, offering AHFES events during this time is discouraged.
See the full online application for additional instructions.