The DC Collaborative, in partnership with our members, advances equitable access to learning opportunities in the arts and humanities for all.
The DC Collaborative envisions that DC public schools and public charter schools are widely recognized for the comprehensive education—integrating the arts and humanities with core subjects—that they provide to all students.
- All pre-k to grade twelve public school students have access to a high-quality arts and humanities education with the DC Collaborative playing a leading role in ensuring that the arts and humanities are part of their daily education.
- DC public school and public charter school students feel pride in and take ownership of the rich cultural resources in the DC area.
- The DC community has an expanded number of cultural consumers who attend its arts and humanities organizations as a result of developing, supporting and connecting with young diverse audiences.
- Students and their families understand that they are part of this community, and students know that they can play an active role in the creation and production of the city’s arts and humanities programs, now and in the future.
- The arts and humanities inspire and engage the community, leading to a more vibrant, prosperous and empowered city.
Core Values and Beliefs
The decision-making of the DC Collaborative is guided by the following values and beliefs:
- We believe that the arts and humanities—inclusive of music, visual arts, theater, dance, and media arts, as well as languages and literature, and historical and philosophical inquiry into the human past and human condition—are central to the education of every student
- We have a responsibility to be a collaborative partner in providing arts and humanities programming to DC students to collectively impact public education.
- We believe that every student and educator is entitled to equitable access to arts and humanities education programming. This includes frequent and consistent access to DC metro area professional arts and humanities, artists and organizations, and their programs for students.